Made with whole wheat, sprouted ragi and dates, these chocolate muffins are wholesome enough to have for breakfast! Or any time of day – not to mention they are so easy to pack for travel. Stun your friends at the next potluck. When we saw Chef Disha proudly display her creation, we asked her Amma to share the recipe.
Basic Vegan Chocolate Muffins (recipe adapted from Veganosaurus)
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Sprouted or malted Ragi flour
3 tablespoons Good Quality Cocoa
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla powder
1/2 tsp Baking Powder and
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 – 1.25 cup of date paste
5 tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Cool or Cold Water
* Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
* Sieve the dry ingredients together a few times.
* To make date paste soak wet dates with little water for 30 mins and then grind with the water until smooth
* Whisk all the wet ingredients (except oil) together until at least half the date paste has dissolved.
* Add the oil and whisk some more.
* To make the cake batter, pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and quickly mix until there are no large lumps.
* Pour the cake batter into the prepared muffin pan and immediately pop it into the preheated oven.
* Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a few cracks have formed on the cake’s surface.
* Cool completely in the pan.